WCL Russell Vale Colliery
Wollongong Coal Limited (formerly Gujarat NRE Coking Coal Ltd) owns and operates the Russell Vale Colliery (formerly the NRE No.1 Colliery) near Wollongong, in the Wollongong and Wollondilly local government areas. The colliery first commenced operations in the 1880s with longwall mining introduced in the late 1960s. Coal is currently extracted from the Wongawilli and Bulli seams. Extraction from the Balgownie coal seam is no longer conducted. Mining extraction methods adopted are continuous mining and longwall extraction.
WCL Wongawilli Colliery
In 1916 the Wongawilli Colliery, in the Southern Coalfields of New South Wales, was opened and developed by G & C Hoskins Limited in order to supply coke to industry in Lithgow. The mine was consolidated with the Kemira and Nebo mines to become the Elouera Colliery, officially opened in February 1993. In 2004, then owners BHP Billiton proposed to turn the Elouera Colliery into a tourist coal mine after its planned closure. However, in 2007 BHP Billiton sold Elouera to Indian company Gujarat NRE, who continued operations, renaming it the NRE Wongawilli Colliery. Now owned by Wollongong Coal Limited, it was renamed WCL Wongawilli Colliery in February 2014. Mining is carried out in the Wongawilli and Tongarra coal seams.